Thursday, July 07, 2005

Terrorist Attacks in London

I and my wife have just been to London on vacation over a month ago. It is indeed sad and devastating to see the tragic events in London.

Our experience in London was one of the best we have had. It is a city full of life. It is melting pot of different cultures. London plays an important part in almost every corner of the world due to British history. People have different feelings about London because of the effect of the British Empire. But a visit to London and the Londoners win you over. A visit to Covent Garden is enough among other thing.

In light of this it was indeed very devastating to hear the news today. Our deepest sympathies go to the Londoners who were victims of this callous act.

So that brings us to the point what do we do about it. When the United States went after the Taliban/Al-Queda in Afghanistan, I felt they were fully justified. I wished they had stayed focused and completed the task. However I feel US got a little of cold feet of tracking down Bin-Laden, considering the backlash from the Islamic world. So instead they went after their second priority Saddam, thinking that they had crippled Bin-Laden. However the bomb blasts in Spain should have been warning enough. But the United States was already engaged with Iraq by that time so it was too late. So the US moved on. Now this.

So I wonder what it will take for the US to refocus on getting Bin-Laden. That is the key, I feel. Till he is alive he will always be a motivating factor for these terrorists. Lets get into Pakistan and get him even if this Pak government doesnot cooperate before more innocent people die! Better him than me!

However I want to conclude this essay with my deepest sympathies to the loss suffered by the individual Londoners. Sometimes we tend to roll up the casualties into statistcs, but this is no statistic to the people who have lost their near and dear ones.

No comments: